- Job Seekers
- About Us
- Our Team
- Contact Us
ISP Network Engineer
12 Dec 2021
Our client is a fast-growing specialist business Telco providing a complete bundle of services including leading-edge cloud services to medium-to-large-size businesses and not-for-profit organisations across New Zealand. Digital Island has rapidly grown based on a reputation of professionalism, performance, value and fanatical service.
As a result of continued growth, digital transformation and with major infrastructure projects in the pipeline, the need has arisen to recruit a Senior Network Engineer. This senior technical role sits within our clients Engineering team and is ideal for a skilled Network Engineer looking to take their career to the next level with a broad and challenging role within an exciting and fast-moving service provider company.
Overall, this is an exciting opportunity to work within a vibrant culture, be exposed to leading-edge technology, and work with some of New Zealand’s best-known companies.
Technical leadership – Demonstrate technical leadership in the Network, Infrastructure and Information Security space and strive to set high standards, lead and mentor more junior technical resources. The Senior Network Engineer will work in close collaboration with the Product Managers, the Engineers & Developers and the Network and UC Architects.
Internal Infrastructure projects – Network and Infrastructure solutions design under the guidance of the Network Architect, Implementation of new solutions and enhancements to existing infrastructure systems (both on premise at our datacentres and in the cloud), in line with the network and wider infrastructure roadmap.
Drive standardization, design and operational best practices – Under the guidance of the network architect create and maintain high-level and detailed technical designs, implementation and test plans, engineering templates, and other documentation in order to drive standardisation and operational best practice.
Technical documentation – Deliver accurate technical documentation, network diagrams, configurations, and implementation plans within agreed timeframes.
Level-3/4 troubleshooting – Act as the ultimate internal escalation point for complex Network faults. As a senior technical resource, you may be required to deal with major incidents and lead the troubleshooting and resolution of complex faults. This will at times may require you to engage with 3rd party service providers and vendor support (a.k.a. TAC).
Network Management / Capacity Planning / Process improvement and Automation The Senior Network Engineer will provide in-depth and insightful interpretation of monitoring data and appropriate management of internal network and infrastructure systems so as to optimise performance and minimise downtime, perform proactive capacity planning and enable effective support / provisioning (e.g. process improvements, automation of simple tasks). In addition to that, the ability to assess, recommend and introduce new network and infrastructure management systems will be essential.
Product Development – the Network Architect as well as the Senior Network Engineer to a lesser extent are required to assist the Product Managers with ongoing product development including technical recommendations/R&D/Solutions design, product testing, Proof of Concept initiatives etc.
Pre-sales Network Design – on occasion, the network architect and the engineers may be required to assist the technical pre-sales consultants with bespoke or complex pre-sales network design enquiries relating to new and existing business opportunities.
BAU Project work – Migrating a multi-site enterprise WANs or SD-WANs from another Service Provider’s Internet/WAN infrastructure onto our own is a typical project for the network engineers. This type of work is largely handled by engineers and coordinated by Project Managers however you may be involved to a small extent to perform technical design reviews and engineering peer reviews. At times you may also need to act as an escalation point when complex issues arise during implementations and cutovers.
- 5-7 years in a network engineer role (or senior network engineer).
- Cisco CCNP/CCIE Service Provider and/or Juniper JNCIS-SP/JNCIP level (certifications preferred but not mandatory)
- Solid knowledge and experience with key ISP/WAN technology such as MPLS architecture, transit/peering, BGP, OSPF, QoS, VRF, MPLS, QinQ, IPv6, DNS, BNG Subscriber Management, eVPN, VXLAN.
- A high standard of planning, documenting, task and project management. Ability to run projects independently.
- Ability to lead and contribute to technical discussions and have up-to-date knowledge on the latest industry trends and technology.
- Proven design/engineering experience and methodologies (i.e. this is not a NOC/Operations type of role).
- Senior level-3/4 troubleshooting skills
- Sound knowledge and experience with firewalls
- Basic Linux system administration (intermediate or senior level Linux skills are an advantage)
- An ability to work under pressure when urgent issues arise. The role at times requires the ability to perform occasional after-hours overtime to meet deadlines or assist with the troubleshooting and resolution of high-severity incidents. In return, the company will also provide you with a large degree of autonomy and flexibility.
- Expected to be professional, well presented, have a high standard of communication, and strive to deliver outstanding customer service.
- Experience engaging with both technical and non-technical staff or customers depending on circumstances
- Be based in Auckland and preferably have a work visa (though not mandatory – as an accredited employer with NZ immigration, we could consider a ‘NZ Work To Residence Talent Scheme’ application sponsorship for the right candidate).
Nice-to-haves (not mandatory)
- Automation experience (e.g. Ansible, Puppet)
- CISSP or equivalent Information Security training or certification. Information Security will be factored in to all your designs, builds and recommendations. You will also be able to carry out risk vulnerability/threat/risk assessments, recommend and implement appropriate security controls and mitigation.
- Scripting skills, Python, Go/Goland development
- Monitoring and Data analysis tools (e.g. Elasticsearch/Kibana/Logz.io, ClickHouse, Splunk, Grafana, Zabbix etc.)
- ITIL Foundation and IT Service Management training/certification/concepts.
- Azure / AWS / Megaport experience
- SD-WAN experience
- Excellent remuneration along with a number of perks, such as a mobile plan, a company laptop and a home internet connection, as well as health care insurance and life, income protection and trauma cover
- The chance to work in a fun and dynamic environment
- Flexible working e.g. work from home, flexible work hours (when not in lockdown our staff typically work from home two days per week)
- Personal development opportunities through continuous education and training and a demonstrated track record of developing our employees, including hiring and promoting internally where possible.